Monday 18 August 2014

#4 - Weeks don't get much tougher than this...

I've had a horrible week - thanks to a stupid illness. 

It should have been a great week. Last Monday evening we had a training session for Swadlincote junior parkrun (must always remember it's in lower case!), but towards the end of the evening I started feeling as rough as hell; Tuesday was one of those days where I should have called into work sick. With the amount of time I had last year though, I knew I had to soldier on and drag myself in. 

It wasn't great, but somehow I made it through the day. There was no chance of me doing my fourth consecutive Hatton Darts run; I actually pulled out that morning. It's ironic really, as that was the first one I was meant to be doing as an officially joined member!

I was completely knocked off my feet, and rested until Saturday - which of course is parkrun day. I have to admit I wasn't looking forward to it. When I saw a friend being similarly conflicted on Facebook a quick offer of a lift meant both of us didn't have a choice!

After last week's tail run I was determined to see just how far behind I was. With the Burton 10k only two weeks away, I have to admit I have very little confidence in myself at the moment. My head is very messed up, not to the same level as last year but but where it was in, say, May. 

It started badly, and I was boxed in behind slower runners. I may not be the fastest, but I was faster than that and I lost a lot of time. Still being competitive, I made the mistake of trying to make the time back up. I finished the first mile dead on 11 minutes. My PB for parkrun's first mile is 10 minutes, so actually quite good with what I'd lost. 

Or so you'd think. I sailed past an old school friend somewhere around that mile point. Within a quarter of a mile though, I was spent. I'd done too much, too soon. That school friend soon caught me back up, and said I should run with her group. There was no chance at that point though!

I steeled myself for the course's challenge - "Cheeky Hill". The week before last this was where I'd stopped running, but I was determined that this time, since I'd already stopped, I start this time. I made it :)

The rest of the run was fairly non-descript. I was playing back and forth with a couple of young girls who were also run-walking and another lady who I didn't see walk. I actually managed to pull away from the girls going up the straight incline leading back up what's the first mile when you're coming out. So imagine my surprise, on the sprint to the finish where I upped my pace by about 1.5mph, when one of them came zooming past me! If she had that much energy left she should have run quicker earlier! The other girl seriously had nice legs though, I must say!


So that was the week's exercise, all in one. I'm still in a terrible mindset; as I write this on Tuesday, I've pulled out of Hatton again - my confidence is at an all time low. I've no idea how I'm going to go forward. Frankly, I'm s****ing myself.

Weight This Week:  231.6lbs
Weight Last Week: 229.6lbs
Total Lost: 148.4lbs
Distance Ran: 3.1 miles
Distance Biked: 0 miles



No comments:

Post a Comment