Saturday 2 August 2014

#2 A bit of a round-up

Running is hard.  We all know that.  It’s far easier to just sit on a couch, munch away on a bag of crisps (or seven) and watch TV.  When I finally took up regular road running last New Year’s Eve, I certainly never expected it to be easy.  But just over a week ago I had what was both my favourite and least favourite running experience I’ve had so far.

Readers of the last blog will know that I’m in the process of joining a local running club, Hatton Darts.  Well, I finally had the opportunity to go out with them for a run in Etwall.  The problem was, aside from a 4 mile run last Monday and the 10k Mud Run on Saturday I haven’t actually been out on a run since the middle of June, the day after the half marathon.

It showed.  My cardio is absolutely nowhere at the moment – as well as not running, both my bikes have been off the road too – so couple that with the weight I've put on and I'm sure you can guess I'm not myself!

But despite that, everyone I met was incredibly welcoming, both on the night and afterwards. Sadly though, I have to admit my head still isn't completely right after last years' troubles being so poor affected me far more than it should have. 

From being back on plan, pretty much, with my eating I retreated within myself. I wanted to run, to fix my bike... but I couldn't. I just ate more. Come the following Saturday and park run I was nowhere to be seen - I decided the night before I'd be better off just having a lie in, as we were going to the in-laws later that morning and it was far easier!

This last Tuesday though I was back with the Darts again, this time in Barton.  It was another hard, off-road run but I definitely felt better for it. The average speed was only marginally better, but there were a few more styles to get over and it was a bit hillier. Going back to the pub with everyone again definitely felt right, and I'm looking forward to my future with the club - things can only get better!

This morning, as I type this on the afternoon of Saturday the 2nd August, I did make it to park run though - thankfully. 

It really did bring home just what I've lost in these last couple of months. My GPS trace suggests I was basically three minutes per mile off my fastest speed, but that doesn't really tell the story. 

If I'm honest, I was knackered after 0.15 miles and felt like walking. I kept going though, willing myself to the gate that's at the 1 mile point. Once I got through that, I pushed myself to the hill - and got there :)

I knew pushing myself up the hill was a step too far so I walked it, and decided I'd walk to the canal and run after it. 

I nearly did, too. Half way to the canal I spotted the photographer, Chris. Now, I don't really want any pics of me walking so I ran for him - and started walking again straight afterwards! Looking back, I should have kept going but I was in that mindset. 

As I got alongside the canal I steeled myself up to go for it again - did a couple of steps and heard a shout of my name - it was a friend I'd met through park run (and, technically, Spotted: Burton but I don't think we're allowed to be positive about that!) - so I stopped in my tracks, and decided to run with her. I much prefer the company when it's not going well!

I'd like to think we willed each other onto the end, and I typically finished with my worst "running" time other than at the hamstring-curtailed Braunstone park run a month ago. It also helped having one of the Darts, who I'd seen before the start, coming back and running with us to the end. We even did a "sprint" finish!

It's getting better. I drove home wishing I was still running, and I even did a bit of running to the barcoders from the car after I'd stopped to get something.

I want to run. I need to run. As I look towards the marathon in three months, I know it's going to be hard. Some are suggesting it's impossible - but I'm going to keep going for it, keep trying to get my head back to where it was. I know I can do it. I promise I will do it.

SHAMELESS PLUG: You can help me, too. I can be sponsored for the marathon on www.justgiving.com/daniel-marathon - I'm raising money for Diabetes UK, and very penny you donate will both go to them and give me extra incentive to get back into it. I won't let you down.

No comments:

Post a Comment